Wednesday, July 14, 2010

How Can I Be Content In a Situation That I Didn't Choose?? (Part 2)

I can trust that God's way is perfect, even if it's not the way I would have chosen for myself.

Let's take a quick look at the example of Mary, a woman "highly favoured" with the Lord. Now can you imagine being a young woman of this time, engaged to be married soon, and to learn the news that you are pregnant? Not only this, but the child is the Son of God! You have been given this huge responsibility (that you didn't even ask for), along with the ridicule and gossip that you would have to face as a woman pregnant out of wedlock. How would you respond to this message from the angel?

Luke 1:38
"And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word."

Everytime I read that verse, it sends chills down my arms! Even in circumstances that would look highly troublesome and undesirable to the worldly eye and that would turn her world completely upside down from any plans she had made on her own, Mary was wise enough to see that God's way was good even if she did not understand the whole picture right away. We, too, are the handmaids of the Lord. We should share in that attitude of submission to His will!

Isaiah 55:8-11
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow falleth from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: so shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."

I am awed and amazed at the way God can see the big picture of the past, present and future and He is putting it all together with His perfect wisdom and understanding. Sometimes it feels like things are going all wrong, but when I read these words in Isaiah, it is a sweet reminder that God is so much smarter than me and even though I don't understand what is going on, He does. What a relief...

No comments:

Post a Comment