Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Managing Our Emotions, Part 2 - Wallowing In Self-pity

No matter what age you are as a single young woman, there's always the pressure that you NEED to have a guy. It's everywhere. No matter if you're still in school or out in the workplace, it's like there's a big SINGLE sign written all over you if you're not known to be "with" a guy. I've felt this way...have you?

I really think this is a huge issue with some of our young girls in the church, so we're just going to dive right in and face self-pity head-on. The emotion of self-pity stems from feeling sorry for yourself and the state that you may be in at a certain time in your life...like being single, for instance. Let's go ahead and look at some of the self-centered statements that we sometimes make when feeling this self-pity in our lives and counteract them with God-centered ones!



Self-Centered Statement:


"I'm ugly and worthless. I hate the way I look."


Okay, first of all, there's always going to be something that we don't like about our appearance. Ever since we were little girls, the world has tried to instill in us a desire to be "skinny", to have the most beautiful hair, to have the perfect, pimple-free face, to wear the most stylish clothes, and the list could go on forever. Society has taught us to NEVER be satisfied with our natural appearance. Let's counteract this statement with the words of David.


"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfull made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." - Ps. 139:14


Believe it or not, but God created you and me a MASTERPIECE! David also states in the verse right after this one that he was "curiously wrought." This phrase means (according to Strong's Concordance) embroidered or made with needlework, which tells us that God, with great skill and precision, made us just the way He wanted us to be.


"Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised." - Prov. 31:30


God-Centered Statement:
"I am God's creation and I am beautiful in His sight."


Okay, next one...


Self-Centered Statement:


"I feel like life is passing me by. When is it my turn to find the right guy to be with?"


This one's a biggy. A lot of young women just kind of "sit on their hands" when it comes to this. They think that life begins when they find the "love of their life". Beloved sisters in Christ, believe me when I tell you that you are setting yourself up for regrets. You will look back on this time of singleness when you are older (whether or not you are married) and say, "Wow, I wish I would have done more for Christ." Stop obsessing over guys!!! Let the man in your life, Jesus Christ, heal those feelings of loneliness and discontent with His Word and by prayer.


"...The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit..." - 1 Cor. 7:34


This is a special time in your life! Go out and do things for God for His glory. Trust me, those feelings of self-pity will go right out the window when you're not focusing on yourself!


God-Centered Statement:


"I need to live life for today and in light of eternity by doing work for Christ."


In Christian Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment